What is Parenting Science Gang?
Parenting Science Gang is a ground-breaking, user-led citizen science project. It brings groups of parents to together to answer the questions:
- What parenting questions do we need evidence-based answers for?
- How can we design experiments to answer those questions?
The project builds on the approach successfully piloted with Nappy Science Gang, which involved hundreds of volunteers over one year. They researched, designed and ran their own experiments related to reusable nappies. Among other successes, the group induced the NHS to change their guidelines on washing baby items and discovered an unexpected and interesting cloth nappy phenomenon.
What questions will we ask?
That is completely up the parent-volunteers. However, as the groups are organised around parenting topics it’s likely that experiments will be based on questions relating to their topics of interest.
In the first phase the parent groups participating are:
- Breastfeeding Older Babies and Beyond
- UK Breastfeeding and Parenting Support
- Science-Aware Natural Parenting
- Bumps, Babies and Beyond, Dumfries and Galloway
We will have five groups in our second phase. The first two groups are already up and running:
- Breastfeeding and Health Care Experiences
- Let Toys Be Toys
Why are we doing this?
- We may uncover questions which science isn’t answering, but which make a difference to some groups of parents. Scientists (well-meaning, well-read scientists) can overlook things that matter to the groups they work with if they aren’t a member themselves.
- Actually designing and running your own experiment gives an unparalleled insight into the scientific process for the volunteers.
- It changes volunteers’ relationship to science – from science being ‘over there’ and done by ‘boffins’ to something they can do themselves.
- Early parenthood can be scary, isolating and confidence-shaking but it’s also a crucial time in the child’s life. Giving parents the tools and, crucially, the confidence to understand and critically evaluate scientific information and whether advice is evidence-based is very powerful.
- Citizen science is the best way to answer questions pertinent to the ‘citizens’. (Source)
- Research shows that family members engaging with science in some way, and talking about science in everyday life, has a large effect on children’s future STEM aspirations, especially for girls and other under-represented groups.
Ask us a question …
Did you find out what you wanted to know about Parenting Science Gang? If not, you can ask us a question here:
Parenting Science Gang is the public face (and where everything happens, except some accounting!) of the company Science is People Ltd
Company number: 555488
Registered address: Tormoulin, Balmaclellan, Castle Douglas, Kirkcudbrightshire, DG7 3QS